Thursday 11 March 2010

And now for something different...

There wasn't time for another collage yesterday and this goose had been lurking in my sketch book for a while so I went back to the watercolour pencils combined with watercolours for this one. It was relatively quick and the longest time was waiting for the masking fluid and the salt to dry. The salt didn't really do what it was intended to do; I was recommended to use coarse salt crystals but although I ended up with some dark grey salt, no white raindrops showed up. Tips, anyone?
I normally upload thumbnail-sized images to my blog but this one is the full 5" x 7" so if anyone is feeling in need of a reminder to 'keep their chin up', please feel free to save it and print it out to attach to your fridge - or whatever!

3 comments:

Michele said...

The salt trick is notoriously unpredictable, there are just too many variables to be sure of the result. One of the main problems is that watercolours themselves vary hugely, some granulating more than others, some being opaque, strong, weak etc. It also needs a very long time to dry. I think it worked rather well here but for little white drops masking fluid splattered with a toothbrush might do the trick. Or white oil pastel...

Judy Adamson said...

I'm really grateful for your advice, Michelle. I thought it was just me! I thought afterwards I might have done better with masking fluid but I'm not too keen on that either for various reasons, and I'd had a 'happy accident' in the past with a snowy (fine) salt effect with a Penguin Christmas Card

ArtformTheHeart* said...

This is lovely!! It's also a reminder that 'real' art is much more fun (and messy, hehe) than digital art.