Thursday 22 August 2013

The Return of the '70s Psychedelic Colour Palette




We’ve had a remarkably good summer here in the UK! And there’s still plenty of sunshine, the school holidays aren’t over yet and people are still out in t-shirts and flip-flops. 

And yet, there’s beginning to be a distinctively autumnal feel to the evenings . . .

So I’ve been exploring ‘trends’ for Autumn/Winter 2013/14 -


  • Black and white is set to continue to feature large.
  • The homespun feel of checks and plaids, tweeds, Fair Isle and cable stitch knitting will still be popular, both for fashion and homewares.
  • By way of contrast, we’ll see the opulent silks and velvets associated with the ‘Geisha Girl’ style.
  • Patterns will still tend towards the Mid-Century Modern styles.
  • And - music to my ears! - we will be seeing plenty of ‘70s psychedelic colour palettes


The '70s was one of my favourite decades. Way back then, I owned a set of stylised floral table mats in very similar colours to the Fuchsia palette above. 

I don’t they would fit well in my current house but in a modern house, a combination of the three darker shades with the two lighter ones as accents could work very well. And I think this palette would be fabulous for clothes!


What do you think?

2 comments:

Victoria said...

In my world, the 70s psychedelic colour palette never goes out of style! Fun post, Judy! :)

Judy Adamson said...

Thank you, Victoria - that really was a fun era, wasn't it :)