Wednesday 11 August 2010

Max Shapey, LCSW, on Blocks to Creativity


A few days ago, Artsy Shark - a Site for Emerging Artists - posted an excellent interview with Max Shapey, LCSW, a clinical social worker and psychotherapist, who grew up in a creative family. This clearly and concisely written  article, 'Helping Artists Find Balance', points to some of the underlying reasons why artists get into difficulties and suggests strategies for overcoming them. Do take a moment to read it!


On a lighter note, these 'Ten Commandments for Reducing Stress' were doing the rounds by email a few years ago -
  1. Thou shalt not be perfect nor even try to be.
  2. Thou shalt not try to be all things to all people.
  3. Thou shalt leave undone those things which ought to be done.
  4. Thou shalt not spread thyself too thin.
  5. Thou shalt learn to say 'NO!'.
  6. Thou shalt schedule time for thyself and thy supportive network.
  7. Thou shalt switch off and do nothing, regularly.
  8. Thou shalt be boring, inelegant, untidy and unattractive at times.
  9. Thou shalt not feel guilty, ever.
And finally -

10.THOU SHALT NOT BE THINE OWN WORST ENEMY!

My favourite is No 8 - what's yours?



The photos are of the River Usk at Crickhowell, the next little town up the road from Abergavenny, taken last week, after what turned out to be a wild goose chase in search of someone to print my cards. It still may turn out to have been worth the trip though!


10 comments:

Ulla Hennig said...

Mine is #9: thou shalt not feel guilty, ever! It is the one I have the greatest difficulties with...

jeanlivingsimple said...

As soon as I read #8 I knew that one would be my favorite as well. I may print these 10 Commandments out and give them to a few friends.
Love the peaceful and lovely river photos.
Will have to check out the link.

Judy Adamson said...

Hi Ulla - I think your choice is a good one because it needs to be applied to all of the others!

Hi Jean - I'm not sure why that one jumped out at me; probably because it's the one that I follow but often feel bad about. Good idea to circulate it to friends; I've passed it on too.

Lori said...

Nice pictures and "thou shall not be thy worst enemy" is something I need to take to heart.

Judy Adamson said...

Gothicmama - thank you for your comment. Sadly,I think that could be said for most of us!

Donna L "Sunshine" said...

#10 is my downfall... ask my mom as we are polar opposites when it comes to how we look at life. She's the ultimate positive thinker whereas I'm "Devil's Advocate". So I'm absolutely guilty of several but #10 is the pinnacle.

Unknown said...

I think I would take #2 in a some what changed version. I don't mind what people say, but I just love too many different things myself, so that it is difficult to decide what to do at a certain moment, as I want to do everything!!!

Celtic Cat said...

I like them all, but number #9 is most important!

Judy Adamson said...

I know that feeling all too well, Barbara!

Judy Adamson said...

Yes - it's probably at the room of all the others, Celtic Cat!